This compact breakout board makes it easy to use Allegro’s A4990 dual motor driver, which can control two bidirectional DC motors over a wide operating voltage range of 6 V to 32 V. It is capable of delivering a continuous 0.7 A to each motor channel, and onboard sense resistors enable the A4990 to limit the peak motor current to about 0.9 A per channel. The driver also features protection against reverse-voltage, under-voltage, over-voltage, over-current, and over-temperature.
Allegro’s A4990 is a dual H-bridge motor driver IC that can be used for bidirectional control of two brushed DC motors at 6 V to 32 V. It can supply up to 0.7 A continuously to each motor channel, and the current control feature of the A4990 limits the peak motor current to about 0.9 A per channel with the onboard sense resistors, making this a good choice for small, low-current motors that run on relatively high voltages. Since this board is a carrier for the A4990, The board ships populated with all of its SMD components, including the A4990 and an additional FET for reverse battery protection.
For a single-channel driver with a DIR/PWM interface and a similar operating voltage range, please consider our DRV8801 carrier. For lower-voltage alternatives to the A4990, consider our DRV8833 and DRV8835 dual motor driver carriers.
- Dual-H-bridge motor driver: can drive two DC motors or one bipolar stepper motor
- Operating voltage: 6 V to 32 V
- Output current: 0.7 A continuous per motor
- Current control limits peak current to 0.9 A per motor
- Inputs are 3V- and 5V-compatible
- Reverse-voltage protection circuit
- Can survive input voltages up to 40 V
- Under-voltage and over-voltage protection
- Over-temperature protection
- Short-to-supply, short-to-ground, and shorted-load protection on the motor outputs